United Kingdom Census had estimated in the year 2001 that more than 15000 people were Russian-born and were residents in the UK. It is very obvious that 15000 is not a small number. Another obvious fact is that this number might have increased in the past several years. Well, this number has increased a lot. It had been estimated in the year 2014 that more than 150,000 Russian people were the residents in London. Hence, the Russian residents cannot be neglected in the United Kingdom as there are a lot many. Thus, it can definitely be said that there is a huge future of the Russian language in the UK also the Russian language has lot many scopes for a better carrier. The reason for many of the Russian coming to the UK is that they joined the EU in 2004, and hence they come from the Baltic States. There are almost 300,000 Russian descent people in the UK.
The Russian language is one of the most geographically widespread languages of Europe and Asia and the Russian language is also the most widely spoken language of the Slavic languages. The Russian language is one of the largest native languages spoken in Europe with more than a hundred million native speakers in Belarus, Ukraine and Russia. The Russian language has taken over the 8th place for the most spoken languages in the world by the number of speakers, and it has also taken over the 4th place by the total number of speakers. Russian language as become one of the six official languages which are spoken in the United Kingdom.
There are a lot many Russian schools in London and South East which are having an aim of transmitting the Russian language and Russian culture to the Russian children. For example, there is a school named “The Russian Embassy School in London”. This is a Russian international school which has been established in the capital city of the UK, London.
Russian Language Learning Resources in the United Kingdom
As it has already been explained above that the number of Russian residents in the UK is very large, and hence those people need to learn the Russian language also. Some of the learning resources of Russian language are listed below:-
- ru has a collection of a lot of dictionaries, and it also includes the specialised dictionaries.
- BBC languages are really very helpful for the beginners.
- Beginner’s Russian is available in a combination of Hippocrene Books, threshold and the textbook used for OPAL elementary.
- Slavic Dictionary
- Study Russian Online is also helpful for the beginners as it contains some of the phonetics and grammatical explanations.
- Russian sign language: there is a film available in the library which contains some written and visual Russian sign language.
- Golosa Basic Course in Russian is an introductory Russian course which is mainly focusing on communicative language and grammar/structure.
- Shining Happy People is a blog which is ideal for the beginners. It includes Russian word for the day and many other tips.
- Russian National Corpus: This is suitable for all who are interested in learning the Russian language and various associated fields.
- Russian Mentor is also an interactive language learning resource.
- Multitran is a Russian dictionary which contains almost all the important Russian words for learning the Russian language.
- Learn Russian Free is a list of frequent vocabularies which contains about 2000 words which are most frequently used and it also contains some quizzes.
- History of Slavic languages: Polish, Russian and Serbo-Croatian in comparison.
- List of Russian search engines from Phil Bradley’s website
Scopes for The Russian language in the UK
There is, unfortunately, no shortcut available for getting a job. All that matters for getting a job is the skills and the proficiency of an individual. Hence, the person should be genuinely skilled in the Russian language so that the employing company can use his/her skills in the Russian Language.
By knowing all the above facts and figures, the Russian language can enhance the job opportunities in the below-listed fields and areas:-
Call centres, BPO firms, trade (import or export of goods or products), interpreter and several companies in the UK dealing with the Russian companies in field of production, translation, teaching (both nationally and internationally), translator is various fields (like; court, library, schools and so on), post offices, diplomatic services, tourism and hospitality industry, international agencies, International business and many more.