The Greek language had its origin some 4000 years ago. The written form of the language came into existence 3000 years ago. It is one of the oldest languages still in use along with Hebrew, Chinese and Tamil. A rich collection of literature is still fulfilling the desire for knowledge of many readers. The work of Greek writers includes information on almost every topic that was available at that point of time. Hence, there are illustrations on various topics including mathematics, physics, astronomy, politics, gastronomy and law. These are a few examples that have been stated here.
Apart from these, a wide range of topics has also been covered by this language. There are a lot of things that has been the gift of Greek literature to the world. For example, the very first encyclopaedia was written in the Greek language. Thus, to understand such a language is equally important as well. Let us have a look at some of the phrases and words of the Greek Language.
Greek Language Learning Resource:-
Starting with the most basic words let us learn how to say hello in the Greek language. In this language, Yia or Yia sou is used to say hello to others. This is a single example of the basic words used in the Greek language. Let us learn a few more words.
Excuse me in called Me singhorisi in Greek.
Efharisto is the Greek word for Thank you.
Good Morning in Greek is denoted as Kalimera.
Kalinihta is the Greek word for Good Night.
Good Afternoon means Kalo Apogevma in Greek.
Sighnomi is the Greek version of the word
These are the simple words that are used in the language. Now let us move on to some of the phrases that are being used in the Greek language. The greeting is the first thing we do while we meet someone.
- How are you? is often asked by people to each other. Ti kaneis? or Ti kanis? is the Greek way of saying how are you?
- Nice meeting you is said whenever we meet somebody. In Greek Kharika gia ti gnorimia is said to politely say that one felt nice on meeting someone. In this way the other person also feels good and honoured.
- What is your name? is the question we ask people often. However, in the Greek language, it is done differently. If you want to ask the name of any person, then you should say Pos se lene?
- Suppose if you are planning to spend a holiday in Greece, then you might learn this phrase thoroughly Posso makria eenay? It means that you are asking somebody about the distance at which something is located. As a tourist, you would require to ask the locations, and this question would definitely help you.
- English is a global language. Even then there are a lot of people who do not speak English in order to ask anybody whether he/she knows it you can say Milatay Ag-glika ? This phrase means do you know to speak English?
- While sitting in a Greek restaurant, you would require a menu to order from. So, you can say Boroomay na doomay enna menoo? It means that can we see the menu? This is the most basic phrase that will be required often. So, learn it by heart to enjoy your
- Imagine you are on a holiday and you spot a Greek girl in a pub. You instantly have the urge to dance with her. So, you would say thélis na horépsis mazí mu? in Greek that means would you like to dance with me?
- In all countries and cities, we find good as well as bad people. Some treat us with respect while others do not care. Hence, for those who show care and concern towards us even in the foreign land, it becomes our duty to show gratitude towards them. Thus, by saying Ise poli glikos you would mean to say to some person that you are very sweet.
Apart from pronunciation, the way of writing in Greek is also different as they make use of various symbols instead of normal English alphabets. All in all their letters are a mixture of English alphabets and various symbols. These are 24 in number and carry a different meaning.
Source: the internet
In the above image, one can see the various symbols and alphabets along with their pronunciation. For example, if you want to write how is cheese made? in the Greek language then it would be written as πώς είναι το τυρί γίνεται and would be pronounced as pós eínai to tyrí gínetai?
Thus, learning Greek means, you will be learning one of the most historic languages of the world that are prevailing till now. Greek has been declared the official language of Greece and Cyprus. So, if you are planning to go on a holiday in Greece, then you must learn the basic terminologies and phrases so that it becomes easy for you roam and communicate while you travel. Also, learning the local language becomes a boon in order to connect to the natives and get their assistance as and when required. geiá sou (Happy journey)!