Tutors are needed to provide additional academic support, which is very essential for developing your concept properly as well as for improving your academic performance. But finding a right tutor, to fulfill the purpose of getting additional support and thereby to get a competitive edge in your academic career requires a lot of deliberation and could really be a daunting task.
Before finding the tutor, you have to first look after your requirements which should be addressed by your tutor. Defining the area of your weaknesses and the specific help that you need from your tutor to eliminate those academic weaknesses is the first important step before zeroing on a tutor. The requirement could be of different type and the selection of tutor will vary accordingly, though there are some specific skills that must be common to every tutor.
The skills set which must be acquired by every tutor are as follows:
- Whether the tutor is fit for imparting knowledge to the students and whether he/she has the right degree and qualifications, as well as the quality education to address the needs of the students properly, are required to be identified. The academic degrees and performance, the details of the skill sets are needed to be scrutinised before selecting your preferred tutor.
- The experience of the tutor is very vital. In fact, you need to search for an experienced tutor if the problems that you are facing in pursuing your academic career are acute and complicated.
- Tutoring is all about communicating and exchanging the ideas and thoughts in between the tutor and the student, and for that, the communication skill of the tutor must be excellent enough to deliver the knowledge to the student properly. The tutor should be skilled enough to change the style of communication (like formal, informal etc.) as well as the mode of the communication (like oral, written etc.) according to the need of the student, so that the student can grab the meaning of the statements with ease and can understand the subject matter of the discussion clearly.
- The personality of the tutor is of utmost importance. He should have the flexibility to win the confidence as well as the respect of the student. The tutor should be capable enough to gauze the way of understanding of the student, the personality of the student, the strength and weaknesses of the student and above all to develop a suitable tuning with the student.
- The tutor can help you only when he/she can organise the entire coursework as well as the way of tutoring in an efficient manner. The organisation skill is one important aspect of a good tutor that should be looked into, before selecting one.
The above are few important skill sets that should be common to all tutors. Apart from these, the student should also look into his/her specific requirement and should judge whether the tutor, who is being selected, has the expertise and relevant experience to deal with those particular problems.
When the qualitative skills have been identified, and you know perfectly what kind of tutor you need to deal with the problems of your academic life, the second step is to find the places where you will be searching for tutors.
If you opt for the one-to-one online tutoring, then there are several companies which offer online tuition using interactive application software. The companies which have earned considerable reputation have tutors with significant expertise and experience in various subjects. The tutoring is done on one to one basis, where a tutor interacts with a single student and deals with the problems of the student. The best part of enrolling with these online tutoring is that you can get the complete profiles of the tutors and can choose quality subject experts amongst them to address your problem. Another important aspect is that you can get such help at your convenient time by sitting at your home.
You can contact your schools and can place your requirement for finding the right tutor for you. The schools being an educational hub, have lots of information about several tutors and a lot of them could also be associated with your school. The advantage is that the school teachers know your weaknesses as well as strong points and with that knowledge, they can really be helpful to find a suitable tutor for you or to give you some special tutoring aid to overcome your problem.
Sometimes it may happen that you may require a friendly tutor, who will act as a friend as well as your tutor. In that case, you can look after the seniors of your school, who have a commanding knowledge in a particular subject or subjects. Usually being inexperienced, the tutoring fees for these friend like tutors are comparatively lower than the experienced ones and at the same time you can cope up with your problems in a friendly environment where the tutor will act as more of your friend rather than a tutor while giving you the necessary assistance to overcome the academic problem you are facing.
There is various online and off-line agencies, who have lots of tutors enlisted with them. You could have the complete profile of those tutors regarding their qualifications, experience, and other skills set. You can approach those agencies, who will allow you to select one, by going through the profiles of the tutors.
You can also search for a suitable tutor using your own network, like school friends, relatives and other people you know. The advantage of getting a tutor through your own net work is that you will be getting the most reliable information about the track record of the tutor as well as the quality of his/her teaching styles and standard.
However, if you are opting for a home tutor, then it is better to locate someone who resides in your locality so that, the tutor can come to you at the scheduled days and time easily. A tutor, who leaves in a remote place, may miss some of the classes because of the problem of long distance. Another advantage of choosing a home tutor in your locality is that it will be easy for you to judge the track record of the tutor, as you can collect required information about the tutor more easily through the friends and others in your locality.